Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Sunday, May 24, 2009

una carta de Anyi (a letter from Angie)

Yesterday Matt and I received letters from my Saturday morning discipleship group girls. their names are Anyi (Angie), Maciel (Mass-ee-el), Daniela and Joseline. They just finished book 1 of the discipleship series and so to celebrate they spent the night at our house. They have been waiting for this for weeks and have worked hard to finish their lessons and especially their verses. I am extremely proud of them. It has not been an easy journey with them. We have struggled. There was a point at which I was ready to end the group. They are all have a tough edge, but now, after 3 months of meeting weekly, I can see that edge starting to break a little and we are getting to a point where we can finally break past the surface stuff and get to really know the real "them." The girls and I finished the last lesson at our house and we had an awesome discussion about what God wants for their lives, and that I want the same for them. They really opened up about the pressures they already face at their school. What they see on a daily basis in the way of sexual pressures and drugs and other things in their lives. It was really truly wonderful and at the very least, a wonderful reminder of God's mighty hand at work here in Tejarcillos. Three of these four girls are a direct result of the VBS we held in January, which we felt at the time, that there was not much fruit. However, God knew the Ultimate plan, His plan, and if it were to be nothing more than that these three girls were to be the fruit...He knew that those two days in the Pines would be time well spent. Next week we start book 2. We had a great night, hardly slept at all (which we feel waayy to old for) and really enjoyed having them in our home.

So, back to the letters. They told Matt and I that they had a really sweet surprise for us when we got to the house. As soon as we got in the door, they opened up their bags and got our hand-made cards for Matt and I and the kids and each other! So there was a few minutes of card-swapping and I settled down to read mine. I could barely hold back the tears as I read their sweet words. Honestly, it was one of the most touching moments God has allowed me, to really see the fruit of three months work. (Not that this can really be considered work, but it is what God has given us the privilege to do) To read their words written to me and to think back on what they were like when we first met, even just a month ago and what God is doing in them even in just a short amount of time...it gives me goosebumps to think of all He will do in the next three months. :)

So, the following is Anyi's letter to me:

Brooke,
I love you so much. Since the day I met you, I felt that you were such a good person. You have taught me so much. At times, you have gotten on me, but I thank you so much for this. I never ever want you to be gone from my life. Just like God is always with me, I want you to be, also.

I love you,
Anyi

I have received many letters in the three years we have been connected and then a part of this ministry. But none have the meaning that this one holds, because she is a direct result of God's hand, His plan and His will for my life. And she is fruit He has given me to water for, to care for and to love.


Daniela Brooke and Anyi making chocolate cake


Mateo and Maciel- after the late night cake fight :)


cake faces - after Brooke was attacked with cake :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is FANTASTIC! Love you guys and so cool to see the work going on!