Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Saturday, January 8, 2011

Master Baking Mix recipe

Some time ago, my sweet friend Leah gave me an awesome cookbook after she learned of my need to cook from scratch after moving to Costa Rica. The cookbook is called "More-with-Less cookbook" and the tag line says, "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources." The author is Doris Janzen Longacre and you can purchase it here on Amazon.com.   I have used it many times since living here in Guanacaste, since I've discovered the lack of so many things I was used to buying and using to cook/bake.

Today I made the Master Baking Mix because everyone wanted muffins for breakfast. The mix is to be used as a base for corn bread, pancakes or waffles, biscuits, coffecakes and muffins.

The muffins turned out fantastic- we made chocolate chip and also blueberry since I had picked up blueberries from PriceSmart the last time we were in the city :)

I thought I'd share the recipe since we loved it so much! You can make an 4 lb or a 8 lb batch.

8 lbs.                                       4 lbs.
Sift together 3 times:
5 lbs.                                       10 c. flour
3/4 c.                                        6 T. baking powder
3 T.                                         1 1/2 T. salt
1 T.                                         1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 c.                                         1/4 c. sugar
Cut in to consistency of cornmeal:
2 lbs.                                       2 c. vegetable shortneing
Stir in:
4 c.                                         2 c. dry milk powder
Store in covered container at room temperature. To measure baking mix, pile lightly into a cup and level off with spatula.

You can substitue wheat or soy flour for white flour or add wheat germ. The dry milk powder is optional, but adds protein. I used one that has added vitamins and minerals that they seel here (it was the cheapest :]  ).

To make muffins, beat together in a bowl:
1 egg
1 c. milk
2 T. sugar
Add:
3 c. Master Mix
Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake 20 minutes at 425 F.


I'll be trying pancakes in the next day or two as well as the coffeecake. I'm going to try cinnamon rolls with it as well.

We'll see...I didn't think about taking a picture...and now they are all gone :) I'll have to remember next time!

Have a great Saturday!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with Brooke wholeheartedly! It is an awesome cookbook with so many basic recipes and ideas for being thrifty with a food budget and even how to cook items together to save on energy with the oven. How to make double batches to freeze for later, etc. Just really a practical cookbook. Not one full of fluff and recipes with odd ingredients that cost more than a meal at a restaurant!

The McClain's said...

I wondered if you had it too, Katrina, and thought of you when I made this today. There are so many good recipes in it and it is really a great cookbook. The blueberry bread came out good, too! Love you!