Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Friday, January 9, 2009

6.2 Earthquake rocks Costa Rica

Well, thought I'd share the story of yesterday's crazy geological event with you all. Ethan, Isabelle and I were working hard yesterday afternoon at the school table and all of a sudden we felt the entire floor move as well as the house. When it didn't stop, I grabbed the kids and put them in the doorway of the school room and ran to get Audrey who was sleeping at the time. Poor thing, she didn't know what was going on, but the movement had not stopped during the entire time I was arranging and collecting my kids so I felt I needed to get her with us. We all stood in the doorway for what appeared to be minutes, but in actuality the whole thing lasted a little less than a minute. I was, to say the least, a little freaked out. We could physically feel the house shaking and see the tv and the computer moving as well as the florr beneath our feet!

I have felt at least 5 earthquakes since we've lived here, although I am sure there have been more that I just have not felt. This was by far the strongest earthly movement I have ever felt in my life! During the actual event, I was scared, I must admit. (I should probably mention here that the kids and I were alone as Matt had been helping with the VBS in Los Guido all week.) However, afterwards, we all sat around and began discussing what happened and what it felt like and how amazing God is to create a world that does the things it does. So, we began to research earthquakes on the internet for the next two hours or so and found some really cool stuff. We'll be making lapbooks over the next few days of school about earthquakes.

One of the coolest things about homeschool is that we have the freedom to change and rearrange as we like or need to our daily schedule. So instead of doing other scien and an experiement we lived one through a live earthquake! :) I must say, it was pretty cool, the afterthought about what it was like and what it felt like.

The only thought that still comes to mind is the fact that it truly is most safe to head outside when one hits. However, my mind races with the thoughts of the locks we have to get through just to get outside. However, I know that God is good and He was with us :) I trust Him for His divine protection.

There were many fatalities, unfortunately, including two young girls, due to the strength of this quake. The source was an near an area frequented by tourists and many are still trapped due the destruction of the major road leading into the area. Please pray for the families without homes, who lost loved ones and who are stranded or are missing family members.

Click on the title of this blog to go to a news site that has a full story about the quake and pictures. Some of the pictures may be graphic, please be warned.

We saw no major damage to the area where we live. So far we have heard of none in the ministry areas, but time will tell. Thank you all so much for the emails and calls to check up on us :)Praise God we are all ok. :)

No comments: