Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pantalones Cortos

I just have to tell you about a little task I've set myself to completing! I have been searching for a good book to read without much success. I have looked in several bookstores for what they have in English, but the selection is so limited and what they do have is outrageously overpriced...I'll just have to wait to hit Barnes and Noble when we go back to Indiana...

However, during my search, I began browsing through the youth section, and found a book in Spanish called "Ramona la valiente." Which, in English, is Ramona the Brave. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the Ramona and Beezus books by Beverly Cleary and have been reading them for over a year. So, when I saw this one I picked it up and began reading it, OUTLOUD in the bookstore and to my complete enjoyment, realized I could actually understand what I was reading!!! I have been very frustrated that it is very hard for me to understand what I am reading when I try to read in Spanish. So, this was a true joy for me to find this book and be able to understand it. I know it will be fun for Ethan and I to read through it together! (Yes, I bought it for about $4.00 paperback).

Later, as I was telling this story to a friend, she asked me about another book called "Pantalones Cortos" that she and her husband had read. It is by a Costa Rican author and is a collection of diary entries written by an 11 year old boy. It is written at a fourth-grade reading level, which for me is the perfect reading/comprehension level! She gave me the book and told me to enjoy it! I have been looking for it for quite some time, but the bookstores have been sold out when I had went. So, this made me even more excited than before.



This particular book is full of sayings and slang native to Costa Rica, which is great for us. I started reading that day and can't get enough of it! This morning, I was reading outloud to Ethan and it is amazing what he understands. There were several times I asked him what a passage meant and he knew right on. Some things I asked him if he knew because I did not know- and he did! At times, he would just laugh outloud! The book is really funny and the main character, Arturo, is much like the character of Ramona, in the other book I bought. So, we've laughed alot while reading this one. There are of course, some things I do not understand, so I am taking notes as I read and will ask around about what the variuos sayings and words mean. But the absoultely wonderful thing is that I can sit and read a passage one time and totally get what it is saying! Maybe those of you that have studied another language can back me up here- but this is like a feeling of jubilation- let me tell you! Not to mention all the new phrases I am picking up.

This probably isn't very exciting to you, that I am excited to be reading two books written for 10 year olds, but it is a huge thing for me...and I thought I'd share :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are reading and understanding it! That is exciting. I can tell you from trying to learn german, that sometimes the "little kid" books are the best way to learn since it was written for the younger crowd to understand. And it gives you and Ethan something to share!!!

We miss you guys.