Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Nehemiah

"As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven." Nehemiah 1:4

(after Nehemiah receives the news of the devastation and destruction in Jerusalem and the well-being of the Jews)

What did Nehemiah do in the face of discouragement?

First thing: he sat.

He paused, took note of the gravity of the situation. He let it sink in.

Then: he wept.

He felt what they (the Jews) must have been feeling. He shared in their sorrows, their pain, their fears. And he joined them in all of it. He felt.

And he mourned.

All the Jews had lost, he took on as loss himself. He grieved with those he loved.

And, ultimately: he sought God. He prayed and fasted, seeking favor and wisdom and direction from his God.

And God listened, responded and granted His servant favor.

"So it pleased the king to send me when I had given him a time." Nehemiah 2:6

"And the king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me." Nehemiah 2:8

Such important application for our lives graciously given to us by our God through the life of Nehemiah. When in the midst of discouragement, he did not allow himself to get caught up in it nor did he allow himself the listen to outside discouragement or attacks.

He stopped, assessed the situation, took time to feel, to understand the situation, and then he wept, and mourned and most importantly he sought God. He fasted and prayed.

And God was faithful in Nehemiah's life. God granted Nehemiah favor and Nehemiah was successful.

Lord, may we stop, feel, and seek Your face and may we find favor with You.

No comments: