Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"You might be a missionary if..."

I have heard stories form my friends from language school about "you might be a missionary if..." I think I've got my own collection of stories to be told about that now.

This week my neighbor asked me if I'd like some fruit called a "pipa" that is like a coconut. She said "Just take your machete and chop it open, drain the milk and then eat the meat." I looked at her blankly, thinking "she really expects me to have a machete laying around." Then, obviously seeing my blank stare, she says, "Do you have a machete?" to which I say, "Uhhh...nope..." Just when you think you are starting to fit in! :)

Then, yesterday, one of the pastors wives was giving me a lesson on scorpions: how to recognize them, that they play dead, where they hide, and how to kill a scorpion- which of course, you use your machete for! Guess I'll be buying a machete soon!

Not to mention the you might be a missionary if you:
- have howler monkeys in your backyard
- randomly see wild pigs roaming the neighborhood
-co-habitate with about twenty geckos and picking up gecko...err...excrement...is part of your daily cleaning routine
-have iguanas in your backyard
-have to check your wet towels that are hanging up to dry for scorpions
-have to check your dirty clothes pile for scorpions
-everything imaginable comes to you ready to buy on a truck of some form: vegetables, fruits, bread, meat, chicken, bags of milk, tortillas, sour cream and cream cheese...
-you randomly find cockroaches the size of your daughter's flip flop roaming your front porch (that is
-it is so hot where you live that when you take your shower, which is a cold water shower mind you, you dry yourself and then realize that you are already sweating again!
-your "laundry room" is the back porch and your dryer is the clothesline!
-at least once daily, your dog goes nuts because of the horses trotting by
(dog thought: "Dude- that's one big dog! Will I ever get that big?")


I am sure there are many more things bound to happen and I will be able to update this fine list...keep checking back for more stories of our Great Adventure! :)


incognito iguana in the backyard



same iguana scaling the neighbor's house



our cat, "Gatita", pretending she is a lion, prowling the chickens and roosters



cockroah (almost) the size of Audrey's flip-flop



gecko lizard hiding out in the oven drawer

No comments: