Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Singing Mariachi's

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was serendaed by singing mariachi's on the night of my birthday!

One of the many traditions Costa Rican's have surrounding birthday's is to have singing mariachi's for one's birthday. Usually, they are arranged to awake the birthday person from their sleep somewhere in the wee hours of the morning. Thankfully, my husband was kind enough to arrange for them to be at our apartment shortly after dinner Monday night.

We had just finished the fantastic dinner Ale had cooked for us and were haning out. OUr friends Jake and Amy were over also. Then...

I heard someone pull up outside and looked out the window and saw a strange van and wonder who it was, but didn't think anything about it. Then I heard some voices right outside and I looked again and realized it was mariachi's. (We had seen them before for the director of the Insitute's birthday). I was a little embarrassed to go out, but they started singing so out I went!

It was so sweet of Matt to do this and such a great way to get into the culture. They are wonderful instrumentalists and singers. One thing I have realized this birthday is how important certain things are, no matter what culture you are in. We are delighted to be able to learn about the Latin America culture. We have chosen not to participate in all things culturally acceptable, some for obvious reasons and others for personal, but the traditions surrounding birthdays are fun new traditions to add to our lives and fun ways to make memories.

Enjoy the pictures!


First seeing the mariachi's


Ale and Audrey and Brooke and Isabelle enjoying the music


Part of the group


The second part of the group

One more birthday tradition is to have your face pushed in the cake! I have heard of this before but didn't remember it. Not only do you get eggs on your head, but now cake in your face!!! Ale graciously helped me with this tradition!



The mariachi's wanted me in the picture with cake on my face!!!




This has been such a great birthday!

To all who have called I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Our Vonage phone is temporarily (I hope it is only temporary!) out of service. I was able to get most of the messages through email- so that was great! But please do not be offended that I have not called back!

Matt has spent many hours trying to work on it, but still no solution. You could lift this in prayer if you think about it. It is particularly discouraging right now as we are trying to connect with many different people in the states about our upcoming visit and we have no phone to return calls with or make the needed ones. Please pray for patience on our part. We really understand the luxury a stateside phone is and we know God is big enough to allow the details to fall into place even without a phone, but it does get frustrating when you cannot find a solution to a problem.

No comments: