Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, July 29, 2010

Night driving....swiss cheese...random cows

No pictures today...just a story...

I have never enjoyed driving in the rain, but I especially loathe driving in the rain at night...my vision is at its worst and even with anti-glare/anti-reflective (and anything else to prevent having problems with the combination of these two things while driving) put on my glasses, I still have terrible issues at night while driving and even more with the addition of rain.

Tonight, as I was driving to my disciple, Marcella's house, it was raining, but only slightly and it was still daylight. It takes about 15 minutes to get to her house in nearby Langosta. The road to her house is worse than horrible. At one point, there was no road to speak of, only a large expanse of holes about the size of my tire with small spaces between them. Think swiss cheese for a road. Nowhere to go but through the holes, slowly and gently. I manage just fine, arrive at the correct Tica hour of 5 minutes late and thoroughly enjoy our time together.

As I am heading home, night has fallen and it is a pleasantly cool evening. (I actually wore a sweatshirt out for the first time since we've lived here!). It as raining slightly as I set off for home.

As stated before, rain and night are not a good combination for driving for me. It begins to rain harder as I maneuver the road and traffic and people walking home after work. I manage to make it through Swiss Cheese Land and through the tourists caminando (walking) in Tamarindo. As I get out of Tamarindo and shift into third gear, I am trying hard to remember all the holes in this main road (there are plenty). The glare from the lights of the vehicle behind me is almost blinding. Oncoming traffic swerves randomly into my lane as they dodge the holes on their side; I hug the ever erroding shoulder of the road on my side.

Up ahead I see a sprinkling of people walking home from their jobs in tourist land. I try not to hit them, although they are walking in the middle of my driving lane and try not to hit the holes in the road and also try to avoid splashing the people as I go through the water on the road. (It is raining harder at this point in my journey).

Wait- what is that ahead? WHOA! Four cows in the road- I guess it is supper time for them too...I swerve slightly into the opposite lane to avoid the three on my side of the road. Oncoming traffic thankfully slows and stops to give me room and to avoid the one in their side of the road.

I pass by, laugh to myself and venture on. Glad to have remembered the huge hole that always gets me at this certain bend in the road just before entering Villareal, I make my way past the small bridge and favorite little pulperia before coming to the cruce (intersection) where I can head left to MegaSuper and on to Santa Rosa or right to Villareal. I go right and head home, wandering to myself the procedure that must happen if one is involved in a "choque" (accident)with a cow. I am sure there is a law about it here in this developing country I've come to love...Must both parties, that would be the car and the...err...vaca (cow) have to remain in the exact positions of the accident until the police arrive as in the case of two automobiles? What if the cow randomly wanders away...?

No comments: