Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Monday, July 7, 2008

water update

Hey...well we were without water for 48 hours- plus! It got to be pretty nasty, but we made it through! It is funny how at times, it was so aggravating to not have the easy access of water. How inconvienant to have to "shower" with a bottle of water. We would leave the house for hours at a time, hoping that when we returned there would be water...and alas there would not be...

It made me think of the way it must be for God. How often he must sit patiently waiting on us to come to him. I am ashamed to admit that I know I cause him to wait on me often. I am so unappreciateive of his never-ending unconditional love for me at times, he must want to throw up his hands and say "Forget it, she's a lost cause..."

However, he does not. He loves me unconditionally and promises that he is always with me and will never leave me. He has promised me to answer my calls. He has promised me a place with him in eternity. So many things he has promised me. He gave his only Son to a fallen world so that I would could receive the gift of salvation through him and eternal life.

Recently, Matt and I have been in somewhat of a rut. No real reason to explain it...but never-the-less, here we find ourselves. Nothing really earth shaking, either- I don't want to alarm you...I don't know if it is the absence of worship in our heart language, the absence of those who have always held us accountable, maybe the need to decompress after such an intense language learning experience or maybe just life in general in a third world country first time in ministry with three young kids...Whatever the reason, my request is that you pray for us- that we would wait on the Lord. That we would thirst for Him and that we would remember to call out to him.

Pastor Rogelio recently shared scripture with us from Hosea 6. It is one of my favorite scriptures and I loved hearing it come from him...

"Come, let us return to the Lord.
He has torn us in pieces;
now he will heal us.
He has injured us;
now he will bandage our wounds.
In a short time,
he will restore us so we can live in his presence.
Oh, that we may know the Lord! Let us press on to know him! Then he will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of the rains of early spring."

My pray is that the Lord would tear me and break me because it is in the moments where I sit wounded before him, but bandaged by his own hands, that I learn the most, that I grow the most and that I love the most. Wierd, huh? That I would ask for God to break me? But, I never want to be in the place where I am confident in my own ability- that is the point at which I will have fallen the farthest. It is not by my strength but by HIS power that I am able to live life day to day. May I always remember that and, yes, may God continue to break me and tear me each time I get close to the self-confident feeling I fear the most.

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

Glad to hear your water is back--Cherilyn was commenting on how nasty she was feeling w/ no water to shower in as well.
We'll keep you guys in our prayers. I was reminded this morning as well that God's love for us includes some times of waiting, times of shaping us and making us to be more like Him, to reflect His glory. I think it is to make us hunger for His presence and to learn to wait on His will for our lives, esp. in the daily-ness of life. (Hope that makes some sense!)

The McClain's said...

Rhoda,
Thanks so much for your encouragement lately. We really appreciate it! We have really enjoyed Cherilyn being here and getting to know her. God has blessed us with itme to spend with the girls inside the ministry, but outside of it as well- and it has allowed us to get to know them on a greater level!

Your comment makes great sense. It is the essence of my struggle lately- what is it that God wants from me and my life right now? We know full well he wants us here and has called us here...but for me personally- what does he want from me as a wife and a mother in full time missions/ministry...I read through Titus and Proverbs 31 and ask him what he desires from me right now. It is so important to me that I train my children well and in a way that will not resent the decision we made to come on the field...so my struggle is to find what is right in this stage of life...

Anyway, that could have been a whole other post, huh?

Thanks for your support and encouragement!