Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"he's so much better than me!"

I have many blogs floating around in my head right now that I need to find time to post...someday...but I had to write about our dinner conversation last night...

Ethan has been playing soccer at school about 4 months. He really enjoys it. It is not competetive in nature, however the coach does split them up into two teams for the last 20 minutes of every practice to "play" against each other. This is the part they all seem to enjoy the best because they always scream when the whistle signals it is time for the game!

Ethan has been dragging his feet to go to practice since school started last week. Usually by the end of the day, he is ready to go, however. But yesterday he didn't want to go, so I said "OK!" and that we'd talk about it that night at supper. Matt and I taked during the day about the possible reasons why Ethan may not be wanting to go and also came to an agreement that we thought he should continue going for many reasons, unless of course there was a serious reason that he was not wanting to go.

So, at supper, I asked Ethan to explain to us why he no longer wanted to play soccer. He explained that there were two other boys who were "so much better" than him and because of that he felt like he shouldn't play anymore. He also didn't like being on the opposite team as another boy because that boy's team always won- and Ethan really wanted to win! For those of you who know the sweet spirit our son has, you may be able to picture the defeated little look on his face as he was telling us this. I sat beside him and Matt and I both explained several different things to our son. One of which was that winning, while very fun, is not everything. And that there is much to be learned from those who always win, and those who never seem to. We also reminded Ethan how very little he knew about soccer when he first started playing a few months ago compared to how much he knows now. I explained to Ethan that even though he may not be as fast as other players or score as many goals, he is able to score and I told him how much I enjoy watching him as he is able to dribble the bal straight down the court, turn in a full circle and then accurately kick the ball past the much older kids who serve as goalies in the younger kids pracitce, and score a goal. Something he could not do when he first started. This made him smile at the recollection of being able to do this! We also talked about how he is so good at seeing ways he can assist another player score a goal, which he has done many times. We talked about how important it is for other players to be able to do that in order for goals to be scored.

Then, came a sweet, sweet moment between our two oldest children. Isabelle asked me if she could tell Ethan something, to which I asked her if it was goign to be nice, and then she proceeded to tell me what she was going to say and I said, "yes, please tell your brother that."

She said Ethan, "I just want to tell you that I think that you are the best soccer player on your team!" with her signature adorable smile on her face! I was holding back tears, knowing the effect this would probably have on Ethan. He looked at her, started crying, and said "Isabelle, that makes me feel so good!" So, of course I started crying...It was a sweet moment- the poor kid he is just like me! :)

Later, Audrey asked Isabelle why Bubby was crying and I heard her say, "Well, I said something nice to him and it made him happy and sometimes people cry when things make them happy- Mommy does it and so does Mimi- Mimi does it alot- that's what Pappy says anyway!" And on they went!

As I thought about this more I am struck by how many times in my life I have plead with the Lord about how I am just not good enough or that there is someone else who is so much better than me. I know how imperfect I am, and so does the Lord, so "isn't there a better choice for this job?"

Well, just as was with Moses, Jonah and so many others in the Bible as is with me. It is in our weaknesses, that Christ is made strong. Later I took the time to explain to Ethan that God has allowed him to be in this school for a specific purpose. Maybe his purpose is to be Jesus to others on his soccer team.

So many times we have people say to us "I could never do what you are doing." Well, maybe. This is what God has designed specifically for our family. So maybe if you tried and it was not that which God has called you to, you probably couldn't. But what you CAN do is be obedient to that which he HAS called you to- whatever it may be. There is nothing spectacular about me or anyone in my family (well, my kids are pretty amazing!!) or about anything we have done. We have just been obedient. But what is spectacular is what the Lord is doing with two willing and greatly imperfect servants.

We praise him for the plans he has for us. We serve such a mighty God. I see him working and weaving lives together in amazing ways. Oh the ways in which he thinks to work! He looks at us so often with a sweet smile on his face and says to us, "I think you are the best person for this spot on my team!" How often do we listen to the other voice that says we are not.

So, the question for today is: Are you willing to be obedient. That is really all the Lord asks of us. Will you stop the thoughts of not being good enough, of having too much sin in your past, of there being someone else who is so much better than you...

Will you choose today to seek, listen and then DO what it is the Lord has planned for you?

By the way, Ethan has decided that he wants to keep playing soccer! :)

1 comment:

mikepettengill said...

Great post...you made me cry.