Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Galatians 6: Those Who Care Share

Galatians 6
"Let him who is taught the word share (koinonia) in all good things with him who teaches." 6:6 

I love this verse. It is the perfect picture of life discipleship. It is life on mission. Most of what I teach my children comes by actually doing things with them. To teach my girls how to cook eggs or pancakes, I have them by my side while I am cooking. In order for Ethan to learn how to clean the bathroom correctly,  I have him with me and show him the expected way to do it. But as I spend that time with them and see the fruit of my labor like fried eggs, pancakes or a sparkling clean bathroom, they share in that goodness. We experience fellowship together and they are learning in the process. They share in my joy of a job well done. 

As I am taught, I also share in the life of the one who teaches me. As Matt and I serve alongside Pastor Jim and Patti, we are learning so much. As they teach and instruct us, and as we put into practice what we observe from them and they teach us, we share in their joy. 

Throughout this entire chapter, one theme is repeated over and over again...that of doing good. It is common for those in ministry to grow weary because many times they work long hours with little to no time off. As a wife whose husband is in ministry, I find this to be a frequent struggle for me. 

But verse 9 says, 

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season, we shall reap if we do not lose heart." 

Finding a balance between life and ministry is admittedly a struggle for me. But maybe the struggle exists because ministry is my life and there really need not be a balance or separation between the two...maybe I find it so difficult because I still so often sow to my flesh...and verse 8 teaches us that sowing to the flesh only reaps corruption. 

There are so many references about doing good here in chapter six or about things of God being good. He who does good will be blessed. It will go well with he who does the things of God.  There are also several references to how he who has his eyes on himself or who pleases his flesh will suffer.

 I am struck with this thought:  what do I really think of myself? Is my struggle because I have made myself more important than others? 

"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God." Vs 15-16

Acts, service, outward appearance mean nothing to our God. What He cares about is the heart. If my heart is right, I will walk in obedience to Him and to His word. And I will find peace and mercy with him. 

Application: When I begin to feel like life is out of balance, I will stop and look at why. Am I serving myself or my family? Am I looking out for my own interests or am I thinking of others? Do I feel peace or am I anxious? As I journal through these things and spend time with the Lord, I will seek His face, I will wait upon him, and I will walk in obedience to what he teaches me. I will also make a list of what I need to rearrange in my life so that my ministry to family comes first before anything else. 





No comments: