Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Don't forget the salt!

Leviticus 2:13
"Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings, add salt to all your offerings."

I was so intrigued when I read this in my devotions the other day...

When I went to dig deeper into what the use of salt here meant, I found this on Blue Letter Bible:

All meat-offerings were seasoned with salt (Lev 2:13). To eat salt with one is to partake of his hospitality, to derive subsistence from him; and hence he who did so was bound to look after his host's interests (Ezr 4:14)

Jesus made such an emphasis on salt and how we as his followers are salt and light, salt of the earth, and so on...This really impacts me that God put emphasis on the importance of salt in the Levitical offerings and also that Jesus did the same thing...in light of the BLB definition and how salt relates to the hospitality of a person and that as the partaker of salt you are bound to look after the interests of the one giving you the salt...I learn that I am the salt of the earth only because I am a follower of Jesus Christ. So therefore Jesus is the generous host offering me hospitality and as consume of the  salt that He offers (as I know Him more and grow in Him more and therefore am more 'salty') I derive substance from Him and am bound to Him, as one who partaker of His provisions...it is my reasonable sacrifice to represent Him well...to be salt in this world...to look after His interests which are that all men would know Him....

How will others ever know Jesus if we as His children do not 'pass the salt' in our every day lives?

In the passage from Leviticus, we see that even the grain offerings were to be seasoned with salt. The use of salt was a representation of a covenant with God between the one making the offering. The last part of verse 13 says to 'add salt to all your offerings.'

Every new day is a gift from God. We have the option each day to choose whom we will serve. It is our reasonable sacrifice that we give God the control over each day and that we serve Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind. May every day be an offering to God and may each offering be seasoned
with salt, that those around us, both believers and the lost, be able to taste and see that the Lord is good!

Don't forget the salt today!

No comments: