Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving, Christmas tree, and making cut-out cookies

This weekend we put up our Christmas tree and Christmas lights in the house. I was reminded of years past as we got out the ornaments we found this past summer back in IN that we thought had been long gone in a garage sale before we moved, but had actually been stored at my brother's :) Years of memories flooded back and I was reminded of all God has done in our family over the years. We shared a great few hours of getting the lights on the tree and putting up the ornaments and then Matt and the kids putting up lights outside.

We were invited to share Thanksgiving with several families in the surrounding areas late last week and so that got me into Thanksgiving mode (I had not been up until that point...I had been actually really missing home and family and wondering what we were going to do on that day, so I was thankful for the invitation) and I began planning to make cut-out cookies using Grandma Adair's recipe. Today, we began the process- and it is a process. Every time we make them (which is at least twice a year for Thanksgiving and Christmas), I tell the kids the story of my Gran teaching me to make them and how the recipe was her mom's (Ging-ging's grandma) and how I used to make them with Aunt Sandy and how Andrew and Tanner made them also...and how each step of the process goes. It is a long process and the dough must be cooled before rolling them out so it literally is an all day process. We sifted the dry ingredients and then began the process of cutting in the shortening, which took longer than normal this time (I used a different brand and it must be a little more oily or something because I had to add extra flour. We got redy to add the liquid ingredients and when we got to the vanilla the girls were excited. I opened the cap and they smelled it and oohed and aahhed at the smell. Then I poured it into the teaspoon and they both gave me this confused expression. "It doesn't look like vanilla," they said. "It looks like chocolate!" Hahaha! Ya know, vanilla should be white, right? Like ice cream? :)

When I was explaining that we were making cookies for Thanksgiving dinner, Audrey asked about Thanksgiving. "What is it, Mom?" I love the opportunity to teach my children and share about history.

I've been pondering the traditions of Thanksgiving this week. I love the smell of pumpkin pie, the turkey, of course, and other good comfort foods. BUt is that what the meaning of thanksgiving is all about? Food? For me, it has changed over the last few years, not having access to these foods or been able to purchase it because of the cost here. The meaning of Thanksgiving has drastically changed for me.

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?

What Thanksgiving traditions do you keep in your family?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From the time the kids were little, we have made crafts of Indians and pilgrims and leaves and add one each year, putting their name and age. They are saved and used as decorations for Thanksgiving. We have fun looking at them as we decorate. We also always invite people from other cultures to our Thanksgiving and explain the history behind it, sharing our culture with them.

The McClain's said...

Great idea. Great memories for the parents and the kids :)