Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, July 2, 2009

God answers simple prayer

Yesterday God answered a simple prayer of mine that he has been hearing for almost three years.

We traveled to Guacimo yesterday with the East Hill team. You may remember this area from back in April when our team went and visited Patricia and Pablo for the day. It is about two hours away from San Jose. We received the invitation back in April on that day to come back and hold a VBS for the church. So, the planning began and it was decided that the East Hill team would be the perfect team to bring with us. The team leaders are super organized and no matter how many kids show up, no matter the weather, no matter what happens, everything always runs smoothly with Janene and Pam. :) They are like the VBS directors dream team ;) [And that comes from a former VBS director herself] :)

The last time we were there, Patricia had told me that her sister, Mercedes, was coming to live with her very soon. Now, three years ago, when I first came to Costa Rica, I met a little boy named Jeffrey on the very first day of the trip. I fell in love with this little boy and he will always have a piece of my heart. I also met Jeffrey's big brother, Jonathan, and his little sisters, Gretel and Alison, who was just a baby, and his mom, Mercedes. (Patricia's sister) When Matt and I came to CR together on what was our vision trip, we were able to spend time with the whole family one evening in their home. I remember playing with Jeffrey and Gretel and talking with Merecedes. Throughout the year and some odd months before moving to CR, we sent letters and pictures back and forth and we prayed for them every night.

Fast forward to last week...I received a phone call one night from who? Mercedes! Imagine my surprise to hear her voice. She wanted to call me to tell me that she was in Costa Rica again living at Patricia's. She was so giggly and excited on the phone ands she wanted to make sure that we were coming with the team and if our kids were coming. We talked and caught up on our lives.

So, Wednesday, God saw fit to reunite us and it was such a sweet day! Lots of hugs and happy tears :) I recognized Gretel immediately when I first saw her and she came running up to me as if we had just seen each other yesterday. And a little later I saw Jeffrey- I cannot tell you how sweet that hug was from him :)

And a little later Mercedes came down to the church. It was a very sweet reunion. All of this was wonderful and we were able to spend several different moments catching up and spending time together.

I am so thankful that God answered the prayer of mine to reunite us one day and for Mercedes and her family to meet ours. But the sweetest thing God did for me that day was to allow me to see my son Ethan playing with my sweet little buddy Jeffrey. I introduced them right away and they hung together at different point s throughout the day. Near the end of the day, I watched as they walked down to the creek bed together, arms around each other, and began throwing rocks into the creek, like they'd been friends forever. Of course, this is really nothing new for Ethan, who is a friend to all. But I had prayed long ago that God would one day allow Ethan and Jeffrey to meet and it was so sweet to watch them play together.

Would you pray for this church in Guacimo. Would you pray for the pastor and his wife. Their seems to be an interest in discipleship, but I really think they have no idea how to even begin. Would you pray for Patricia and her family and Mercedes and hers that they would walk in the way of the Lord and now that they are together, hold each other accountable. Would you pray for those sweet little children that God would provide positive, godly influences in their lives. And thank God with us for waht he did through the team from East Hill on that day. It seemed that the church was greatly encouraged, especially the women. There were some 40 women or more their that day and they were so thankful to Neris for her teaching and said they had never experienced something like that before. The kids loved the puppet show and the drama and had never seen anything like it.

Here are a few pictures of the day.


Reunited after three years :)



Jeffrey Brooke and Audrey


Mercedes Alison and Brooke



God is SO good - Ethan and Jeffrey


boys being boys


Alison and Mercedes


Ethan and Jeffrey

Inthe scheme of life this is one thing that God could have passed over and never thought twice about allowing me the opportunity...however, to me, it was a small reminder of his infinite care for even the small things that are desires of ours. We serve such a loving, caring god. Praise Him and thank Him today for the small things in life.


Our families together

No comments: