Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What makes God smile?

I just feel an overwhelming sensation to praise the Lord tonight and I wondered if you might join me in worshipping our King and Creator, the Almighty God himself...

Matt and I and the kids have started going to the Tuesday night prayer services in Los Guido in an attempt to reconnect with our church family there. As many of you know, the past two trimesters of school we have not done much else in the ministry aside from attending church, and for the past trimester - just in Tejarcillos. Now that we have a much more flexible schedule, we are easing into the ministry more and more, which accounts for some of my joy tonight. Finally being able to be in the ministry is SO wonderful! Finally we are beginning to be able to do what God has called us here to do.

Last week, Pastor Marvin spoke about the delight God has in his children; the joy he has when they are born; and his enjoyment in seeing us walk with him. Tonight, he related some of the same to Noah and the life he led. Marvin spoke about 5 things that make God smile and used the life of Noah to illustrate these five things.

These are the some things that make God smile:

1. When we love him above all else
2. When we trust in him
3. When we obey him
4. When we worship him and give him thanks
5. When we use our abilities in ways that are pleasing to him

Marvin spoke about how there were so many questions that surely arose when God told Noah to build the ark, but Noah did not once bother God with questions, he simply trusted him, obeyed him and used the abilities God had given him to construct the ark. Noah was the only true, honest and just man God could find on all the earth. Because of this God chose to save him and his family from the flood and to build the ark. Noah loved God above all else and used his life to continually worship and give thanks to God the Father.

I was very intrigued to tonight's message because I know how often I personally let things of the world creep ahead of my love for God. I know how often I have not immediately obeyed when God has called to me. I know how often I have asked question after question and let doubt creep in and get in the way of pure sweet trusting in the Lord. I know how lazy I get in the little things in life and they became mundane and in no way do I reflect a sense of worshipping God Almighty while doing them. I fall guilty of laziness when it comes to using every gift and ability God has given me to glorify and honor the Lord.

I say all of this because although Noah was the only man to find favor in the eyes of the Lord, he was still a sinner, like me and like you. The the story of Noah is one of hope- hope found only in God the Father, maker of heaven and earth. And no matter how many times I may fall or you may fall, he is always there to pick us right back up, take us into his arms, smile at us and get us going again.

There have been times in my life where God has surely smiled upon me. It is my sincere prayer that there are far more times where he smiles at me then not in my lifetime here on earth.

Tonight I was reminded that this past 9 months spent in language school, struggling to balance life as a daughter of the King, wife, mother, missionary and student were not of waste. Tonight, I was able to sit and translate the service for the Wood family, who are visiting here for the week. Although several times I had to wait for several sentences to go by to get the idea of what was being said, I was able to (I think) effectively portray the jist of the message. My prayer is that this gift that God has given me can be used for the rest of my life to convey just what I did tonight- His Holy Word. (I say "gift" because to me it is just that and it is not something I could have ever purchased or gained by myself, but knowing he has placed within me this ability to speak Spanish). What a blessing to be able to relay the scriptures from one culture to another. Taxing and tiring, yes, I will admit. I definitely had to pay close attention, but I must say (eekk...If I say this I will for sure have a new job if Mark reads this...)...it was somewhat fun :) I am sure I am pretty weird and most who speak another language would not say translating is fun, but I have never claimed to be normal...why start now?? :)

All of this to say, somehow in my mind all of this connects to Ecclesiastes chapter 3and also leads to my thoughts of praise for the Lord. As of today, it is with joy I say that we have seen the Lord answer almost every one of our prayer requests from the last two months that were about tangible items pertaining to finances. It seems God may have planned to answer even the one remaining.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-14 says:
"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven;
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

What does the worker gain from his toil? I have not seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for man than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil- this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing can be taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him."


This week, I have been pondering the last two years of my life and tonight after the message, even more so. The passage from Ecclesiastes really hit home as I thought about all that God has done in my life in the past two years. It was two years and 9 days ago that I first came to Costa Rica. I can still remember those first few days in the country that would soon become my home...Since then, I have seen times of planting and times of uprooting; seen times of killing and times of healing; seen things torn down, but also things being built up; I've wept like I've never wept in the past two years, but laughed like I never thought I would as well...I've mourned as well as danced; had to scatter some stones, but gathered so many more; I've felt loving embraces and felt the need to refrain as well...I've searched and searched for some things...and given the search up for a time on a few things...Kept a few things but thrown a lot more away (or given or sold)...In the past two years there have been some things in my life that have been torn, but in some things I can praise the Lord and call mended...I've felt myself strain to be silent and also felt free to speak...loved alot and hated a little...felt at war many, many times, but through it all felt a peace like no other.

What is about God that he can make the scripture come alive in such new ways at times when it is so perfect. I've read that passage in may life probably a hundred times, but never have I stopped to reflect its personal real meaning in my life.

My joy tonight comes at the peak of many storms that have been brewing in my heart. I have many real, deep prayers that I have offered to the Lord in the past few days and I'll admit was beginning to feel down, until tonight. I am thankful for people God has placed in my life like Marvin Villalobos, who have always spoke the Truth of God's word into my life since I met him two years ago.

Tonight, while there is sadness in my heart for things and people in my life, there is an unmistakable joy that rests in knowing and believing in the Word of God that promises us that "everything that God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing will be taken away."

Joy me tonight in praising our Creator...Worship and thank him for the great things he has done...and feel him smile upon you...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a blessing. It's so cool when you know that God sent a message just to YOU through someone else :-) At least at times it feels that way. And what a blessing to be able to translate for someone else. How cool is that?! Way to go girl!