Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I woke up this morning and thought, "Hmmm, Happy Thanksgiving?" It just doesn't feel like it...Walking home from school in the warmth of the summer (it is casi casi [almost] summer here) sun and thought, "This is just strange- it does not feel like Thanksgiving!" then we got home and I started preparing the food I had volunteered to bring for dinner with our team and started getting homesick. I was trying to make corn casserole (We found some Jiffy cornbread mix stowed away in Meg's cabinet- Praise the Lord!- because you cannot buy it anywhere here!) and it was not getting done and I was also trying to make Oreo pudding without cool whip- because that, too is not available anywhere here- except the can kind...and we all know that is just not the same...So, anyway, I am getting worried about the casserole being very jiggly in the middle after over 1 hour of cooking and also about how the Oreo dessert will turn out with my substitution of whipping cream instead of cool whip...and then we are running a little late...But, God is so good and full of grace. After we walked across the courtyard to Mark and Meg's where we were having dinner, I walked in the door and the smell of Thanksgiving filled my nostrils and I felt so at peace. Our friend Carol had made homemade noodles, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, we had rolls, somewhat like green bean casserole (without the fried onions- can't find those here...) sweet potatoes...pretty much the basic Thanksgiving meal- even turkey (Carol bought one for the tune of about $30- let me tell you it was worth it)! I loved it! It felt so good to have all the good eats!

Meg is in the states visiting her mom, so it was Mark and the girls, Melinda and her roommate Noemy, Alex, Stan and Carol, Matt and I and the kids and a teacher friend of mine, Alejandra. It was really a great day. After lunch, we called back home to talk with our family- which was so good!

We cannot really put into words what it is like to be away from everyone we love and care about- those of you who have been our support for so long...it is tough.

Today the Lord showed us that no matter where we are in the world, how far away we are from those we love the most, he will always provide brothers and sisters in Christ to demonstrate his love for us. We had such a good time getting to know each other. Matt and the kids enjoyed a good game of Clue (the kids have realized their fascination with this game - just like I have always been ;) It was really neat to have fellowship with Ticas (Costa Ricans) as well.

We miss you and love you all. We thank you for your prayers for us pray you find comfort knowing that God is providing for us family and showing his love to us through so many of his children every day! We are thankful for all of you and for those the Lord has allowed us the opportunity to share this part of our lives with here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

By the way, the corn casserole turned out fabulous and Ethan said the dirt pudding was the best he'd ever tasted! WOHOO!!!

Thank you Lord for this day. I am so thankful for you Lord, my Creator and my Savior. I am so thankful for your Son Jesus and for the way you manifest yourself into our daily lives. I am thankful for the feelings of "home" and "family" today. Father, I praise you for the great things you are doing in Costa Rica, in so many places in Costa Rica, and in so many hearts of those around me and even those I don't know, but have only heard their stories. Thank you for living through my children. Thank you for their friends in school. Thank you for the light in their eyes- you reflected in them. I love you and I trust you in all things. In Christ's name I pray, Amen.