Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, April 24, 2014

As one who serves

April/May Journal
April 24
Luke 22:24-32
Jesus is sitting in the upper room with his disciples ready to partake of the Last Supper. Having just learned what this traditional Passover supper would have been like and how Jesus changed it and exactly when he changed it, I am so much more greatly impacted as I read this today. At the point in the supper where the Jewish would have drank the third cup of wine (they drank four total), which was the cup of redemption, Jesus introduced the Lord's supper. He broke the bread and poured out the cup (Luke 22:14-22). Just before this, at the appropriate time during the supper where the people would have washed their hands, Jesus had washed the disciples feet. This job was usually done as guests entered the home and it was performed by a lowly servant. It was not a job that anyone would choose to do. Yet, Jesus, the Messiah, humbled himself and washed his disciples feet. Next, he introduces communion to his disciples.

And, as we also tend to do in our flesh, the disciples broke out into an argument about who was the greatest. At first glance, my thoughts would be, "How could they argue about who was the greatest at a time like that? They had Jesus right there with them." But the Lord has reminded me of how often I tend to rear up and live this life of service to him as if it were a competition. I love how the Lord, in grace and love, exhorts me through his word.

And so here, Jesus also exhorts his disciples.

"Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be the greatest. Jesus said to them, The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves...."

This reminds me of something Pastor Don McClure said to Matt and I the last time he was here in Antigua. He told us that no matter what position we find ourselves in, whether it be deacon, elder, teacher, pastor, or evangelist; we must never forget that we still serve in each of those previous roles. So as a deacon is a servant, so too is an elder, as is a teacher, etc. it is the same thing that Pastor Mike and Pastor Steve tell each new IGNITE  class about the inverted triangle of ministry. The world looks at success and climbing the ladder as growing in authority and position. But in a life of service to Jesus, the greater position, if you will, that one might gain, the greater responsibility they have as a servant. I love this and believe it because I have seen it lived out by those in leadership of PFM and Calvary Chapel. One of the things I love most most about serving with  Calvary Chapel churches and PFM is the rich heritage of generational discipleship that makes up both the CC movement and  the ministry of PFM. And in both, it all starts with being a servant.

I am thankful for the example we have in Jesus as a servant. We see over and over again that his disciples were not perfect, they made many errors, they doubted at times, they were ashamed at times, BUT God, who is rich in mercy, poured out his grace upon them, continued to love and invest in them, and entrusted them with His ministry.

This blows my ever lovin mind, as Pastor Mike would say. And it humbles me. I am so thankful for the pastors and their wives, that the Lord has placed in our lives who demonstrate mercy and grace and love in our lives as they model being a servant, teach, and exhort us as we live and serve together.

Today, as I meditate on this, I ask the Lord to continue to remind me of the cross. Thinking through all He has taught me about what a life devoted to him really looks like in the past couple of weeks, I will look for opportunities I have to serve. As the Lord gives them to me, I pray my heart will be surrendered to Him and not given to the desires of my flesh.

Thank you Lord, for beloved friends who have taught us so much over the years. Those that love you and walk in obedience to you. Thank you for leading them to give us the opportunity to serve with PFM. Thank you for their leaders and pastors, who had first invested in them, and who have a relationship with our leaders. Thank you for the way you weave together your body in service. Thank you for Pastor Mike, who trusted your leading and in his relationship with others. Thank you for Pastor Steve, who from the beginning, has been one of our biggest cheerleaders, who has supported, encouraged, and believed in your perfect work in us. Thank you for Pastor Jim, who you continue to use as an example in our lives daily. Thank you for his life of service, example of being a servant, his love for laughter, his oversight, his discipleship, his love and his grace that I know come from you. Thank you for the wisdom he imparts into our lives. Thank you also for Pastor Don, who leads us all with grace, integrity, and wisdom. Thank you for the legacy of faith he is passing on to the generations that have come after him. Thank you also for others on our team who you have given us the opportunity to serve and to serve with. Thank you for those who we co-labor with across the nations, whom we may not know face-to-face but are united in spirit with through our service to you.

No comments: