Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Galatians 2: Dying to be free

Galatians 2
Right away, we see here the reminder that God's timing is perfect...in the previous chapter we saw Paul's conversion and course of being discipled by Peter and others. He then goes out among the nations sharing the gospel. Fourteen years later, we find him returning to Jerusalem but this time his encounter with Peter is much different. Paul finds that false teachings have made their way into the church at Galatia. The debate about circumcision has surfaced and caused division and deceived some. Even Peter it appears has been deceived. It seems that Peter has strayed from the very gospel that he had one time instructed Paul in. Peter seems to have fallen into the role of a hypocrite, enjoying fellowship with the Gentiles at times, but when in the presence of the Jews, Peter forgets about the Gentiles. 

Peter had sent out Paul to share the gospel with the Gentiles, the uncircumcised. Peter stayed to minister to the Jews, the circumcised. Now we find him fallen under the law and out of the very grace that saved him in the first place. 

Imagine being Paul and finding out that the one who discipled you, the one The Lord himself called the Rock, has fallen back under the law and now his life looks like that of a hypocrite. 

Paul writes with passion in the last half of this chapter about the importance of our faith in Christ, not in man. He reminds us that God is not a respect or of persons and neither should we be. 

Acts 15:8 "So God who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us and am no distinction between us and them, Purifying their hearts by faith."

Those Paul encounters who seem to have it all together often have nothing to offer us, because they talk one way and live another. Paul does not back down, even with Peter.

This division is caused because they have fallen back into believing in the security of works...particularly the work of circumcision. But Paul reminds us here and references that God does not work through circumcision of the flesh, but through circumcision of the heart. 

Paul find the church of Galatia with a major heart issue. He exhorts them to stand firm in the faith into which they were born, the gospel of grace of Jesus Christ. He reminded them that they are justified not by works but by faith in Christ. 

And then Paul share with them what is the key for me- what keeps me grounded in my faith and reminds me to continue to examine my heart before The Lord.

Verses 18-21
"For if I build again those things which I destroyed I make myself transgressor. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Here is the thing that I must remember daily: when I choose flesh and law, I negate what Christ has done for me on the cross. I set aside His grace and choose my own will.  I choose sin over obedience. I must purpose in my heart to choose to ask God to perform heart surgery daily.

God's plan is perfect for me. I know nothing in comparison to His infinite wisdom. Life is full of people who seem to have it all together, both in the world and in the church. The truth is, even those of us in Christ don't have it all together.The more we grow closer to Christ, the more aware we become of our weaknesses in light of His glory.

Our lives should glorify Christ and should demonstrate his redemptive work in us. When the world or even the church look at us they should see Christ living in us and not ourselves at all, as vs 20 says. I don't want to be a hypocrite, as Peter is found to be here in chapter 2.

I am so thankful for the way God has redeemed me and restored my life. I am so thankful for the way he has taught me the truth of the verses and now. I am able to see the times when I revert back to the law and begin to fade away from His way. While I still fall into this temptation at times,  I am so thankful to know the truth and recognize my error more quickly than before. 


Today, my prayer is that my daily life demonstrate the righteousness that comes through the grace God has given me. I pray that my choice be one of death to myself and therefore one of life for Christ.   I know this is a lesson I still need to learn, because the temptation is still great to follow man, to try and please man ...instead of standing firm in Christ and Is grace poured out for me. I will memorize Galatians 2:21 this week to remember to stand firm in God's grace and the consequence of not doing so.

No comments: