Pages

1 Corinthians 3:4-9

"For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

1 Corinthians 3:4-9


Thursday, February 14, 2013

John 8:33 Inductive Bible Study (IBS)


IBS John 8:31-35 Feb 11-15
John 8:33
They answered him, "We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, "You will become free'?"

We read in previous verses in this chapter that Jesus is speaking with Jews here, and that some believed in Him. Jesus offers those whose interest has been perked, true freedom. But they still do not understand. Jesus has taken much time sharing TRUTH with these Jews. But sadly, they still do not get it.

I immediately think of two things when I read this verse.

The first is how for so long I was blind to my own sin. Before I met Jesus, I thought I was going to heaven because I was a good person. Then someone took the time to share TRUTH with me, just like Jesus did here with these Jews. Only by His grace, was my heart open and I recognized my sin...and that Jesus was the way to freedom! Even now sometimes, I do not recognize sin in my life. But I know that abiding in Him and His word reveals my sin and repentance and obedience to His word lead to freedom, even still today!

The second thing that comes to mind as I read this verse is my unsaved family members. As I read through the entire chapter of John 8, I see that Jesus takes the time to explain to the Jews who He is, the light of the world. He countered their claims of his false testimony by presenting their own law stating that the testimony of two people is true and that His own testimony is true because His Father's testimony bears witness to His own. He then offers them hope in who His Father is- one who does not abandon those who love Him to please Him. At this point some have a glimpse of understanding, but unfortunately, they are like the seed thrown on the path. Instantly it seems, whatever glimmer of belief existed has been snatched away.

Jesus is patient with the Jews as He explains to them the Truth of His word and how they will find freedom if they live out what He is teaching them and remain close to them. How often I've had conversations like this one between Jesus and the Jews with my unsaved family members. Sometimes there is no glimmer of hope and the conversation dies before it even starts. Often, there seems to be a ray of hope, even belief, but yet there is no living out of what was heard, no fruit of being a disciple.

I'm encouraged today by Jesus's example to us to be persistent in sharing Truth with the lost, especially my unsaved family members.

Application: Today I will share this passage with an unsaved family member and ask her again if she understands the gift Jesus is offering her of freedom and eternal life.

No comments: